Tuesday, October 9, 2007

My Marathon Experience

Like most of you, my blog is my journal of my path to the Chicago Marathon 2007 so I must report on my experience. First of all, I would like to thank SO many people for their support.
Thank you Mark, Robin, Matt and Scotty for getting me to Chicago all in one piece, well trained and conditioned for a hot marathon day. Thank you for inspiring me and believing in me even with all my injuries and ailments these nine months. I would have given up long ago had you not encouraged me all the way.
Thank you Clark for being with me every step of the way on this long journey. You are the best husband and friend I could ever have.
Thanks to Steve Schemmel, Bill Lushbaugh, and Bob McElroy for supplying me with water. Every time I felt like I could not make it one more step without a drink I would see Cookie's sign and I would breathe a sigh of relief because I knew they would take care of me!
Thank you to the unknown runners who shared their water cups and the Chicago residents that gave me water from their hoses and sprayed me when I went by. Thank you to Robin and Sheila for screaming my name every time I appeared, and to all the spectators that called my name and cheered me on.
Thanks to Bonnie for waiting with me after the race until we could find Clark and to the two strangers who let me borrow their cell phone after the race. I will never go anywhere without my cell phone again.
Even though the race was cancelled I could not have been happier with my performance, I have no regrets. I feel like we were a part of history that will never be forgotten. If everything had gone perfect would this marathon be memorable to the world? NO! We all know we were going to finish. We were ready.
I started getting extremely anxious on Thursday before the marathon. Friday I had a severe headache all day from the stress of what was about to come but managed to keep it under control so that I could function and be sociable. We had a wonderful pizza lunch with Cookie and Steve at Giordano's, went on the boat tour which was fantastic and then had a great meal with Cookie and Steve and Janet and Bill. It was good to get to know Janet and Bill. I already loved Cookie and Steve and their great company.
Saturday was spent at the Expo most of the day. The pasta meal was the highlight of the trip that night. You never know how people feel about you until they call your name in front of a room full of people! Thank you Micah. We love you too!
Saturday night I dreamed all night. I dreamed I went to the starting line and realized I had on my fuzzy houseshoes! My second dream was that Clark and I got up Sunday morning, packed and went home. Later that day I realized that that was the day of the marathon and I had missed it! Crazy!
Saturday night before I went to bed I opened my Bible and asked God to give me reassuring words. He drew me to this passage:
"As you know, we consider blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy." James 5:11
As I got to the 17th mile I asked God to help me because I was really getting tired and needed his Hand to pull me along. About that time they announced that the race was cancelled. My first thought was, "God you didn't have to cancel the race just because I needed help finishing!" Afterward, I told Clark about this and he laughed and said, "What an ego!"
This has been such a fantastic experience that I will never forget. In the Chicago Tribune the race director was quoted as saying "Marathon runners are tough people." I feel so blessed to be a part of all the "tough marathoners" in our group. You are all awesome!

8 comments:

Chuck Gautier said...

You are too great! Thanks for the great blog- I am so proud to say I know you. P.S. Get me some of the Rx that Clark was giving you to have those dreams! You are truly a Marathoner!

The Miller's Blog said...

Jana, I am crying after reading that. You are amazing. And what you said about talking to God,... I told Ann that God really seems to have a sense of humor. I, like you, was so nervous and upset before the marathon and had but a great deal of pressure on myself to finish in a certain time. God knew that if I didn't finish in the time I wanted I would beat myself up about it for a long time. So, just to show me, He canceled the race!
Thank you for staying strong and being a part of this group. I admire you for your determination and incredible attitude! God has blessed you in many ways.

cjonesrun said...

I was taking the same stuff as you because I had CRAZY dreams too! I am glad that you did SO WELL! I was worried about you and another injury occurring but apparently you had excellent medical advice and were strong enough to finish...and you WOULD have! It was a great experience. Looking forward to getting to know you and Clark better in the coming months. Cheryl

LegalSec said...

Jana YOU are the awesome one! You have continued when others would have given up after so many injuries. But you hung in there and are definitely considered one of the toughest marathoners! You go girl!
Sheila

Kayra said...

You and Clark are awesome. You are such an incredible role model, your determination and courage inspires me.

Lee Ann said...

Thanks for the blog Jana, your amazing and a tough marathoner sticking with this thrugh injury.
Lee Ann

Floyd said...

Jana, I was not fortunate enough to be allowed to finish (and I know I would have) but God had a reason for stopping me. I do not regret this experience--it was worth it! I never would have done this on my own. I saw you often during the run and you were looking strong. I salute you for fighting your injuries and still running like the champion you are!

Christa said...

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH JANA!!!!! I'm so glad we've become such good friends. I can't wait to do MS Blues (half for me) and possibly Chicago 2008 with you. We'll show 'em what we're made of!