Monday, August 6, 2007

I have an injury........Bummer............

Once again, I have an injury. Maybe running is just not my thing. I seem to have a stress fracture of my left foot again. Not a heel fracture this time. Something else. I am not able to bear weight on that foot. I am on crutches.
About halfway back from Fannin Landing the second time the medial side of the front of my foot starting hurting some. It almost felt like a catch. I had been doing intervals the whole time 1:30/1:30. It started hurting worse when I was running so I decided to walk the rest of the way. I made it to Spillway Road and halfway to Forest Point when Clark picked me up in the truck. When I got ready to get out of the truck I could not put weight on that foot.
Clark's brother Chris (orthopedic hand surgeon) examined my foot and said it did not appear to be a muscle or tendon injury so it must be bone. He said it was probably a stress fracture and if I treat it like I did my heel fracture (no running or walking for a few weeks) it will be okay and I probably will be able to make the CM. Right now, I have my doubts.
So for now I am going to play it by ear. When I am able to walk again I will start back on the elliptical, water aerobics and water running. We will just have to see how things go. I am pretty bummed out about it but I figure it is better to be injured from trying to improve myself than from being a couch potato and having the problems that go with that.
The good thing about Saturday is my endurance was the best it has ever been. I was not sore or fatigued from the run Saturday or Sunday. I slept most of the day Sunday from taking mepergan for pain but not because of the miles I did. I woke up during the night Saturday in excrutiating pain with my foot and Clark was a dutiful nurse and took care of me.
Thanks to Cathy and Charlie for a wonderful party! It was such fun. I have really enjoyed the cake you sent home with us. I didn't realize you gave us so much until we got home! You did a great job with the invitations, the cake and the gift you gave Mandy! You are so talented!
We all should be proud of our accomplishment Saturday. No matter how far we went. Would we have done this much six months ago? I think not! We ARE all marathoners whether we make it to the CM or not. I am so proud of us all.
Jana

15 comments:

LegalSec said...

I'm sorry you're still in so much pain and I know exactly how you feel. Take care of yourself and don't do too much too soon. Yes, we ARE marathoners even if we don't run CM. But we'll be there cheering everyone else on with encouragement all the way. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.
Sheila

Believe in Miracles ~ Lisa B Davis said...

Hope you heal quickly! Thanks for your comment on my blog too! I appreciate it.I have enjoyed all of your artwork as well.

Carol said...

Damn, damn, damn, pardon my French!

Chuck Gautier said...

I know you don't feel like you can do this, but you can. Seeing how well your stamina was is a great sign, and you just have to believe.. You are a Marathoner!

VICKIE said...

oh jana, im so sorry , hopefully it will heal up as fast as the other and you will out there soon, will miss you thats for sure

take care
vickie

Cro-Magnon said...

Carol has a unique way with words, because she defines precisely the way I feel about your situation. She just left of the "its!"

Ann and Bob said...

That stinks... you were doing sooo good, I have no doubt that you Will recover and beat my butt at Chicago..

The Miller's Blog said...

I second what Carol said :-). You will be able to complete that marathon in Chicago. You will, you will, you will. No doubt in my mind. You have the determination, the drive, and the support of friends and your great hubby! The bright side to all of this pain that you are having to endure is all the great friends you have made! I'm sorry you keep having such bad luck, but things always happen for a reason...whatever it may be. You will be in my prayers. ANd you looked AWESOME out there Saturday! You're a little speed demon! Hope you get better really, really soon!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

That is a Bummer but you have proven you are the "comeback kid" so don't give up the ship yet! Hang in there! Suzanne

LegalSec said...

Okay, what day in August is/was your birthday?! Also, let me clarify my earlier comment. . . I have no doubt that you will get through this and complete the CM with the rest of the marathoners!!
Sheila

queen said...

i am so sorry about your injury, jana. you have been such a great cheerleader for the rest of us, even when you got hurt before.

i truely hope you can recover and get to CM. but if it is meant to be , it will be. it could be it wasn't meant to be. and i ditto your comment about doing damage to yourself running, better than damage from sitting on the couch. so don't you worry. you've STILL done an awesome thing.
while running yesterday morning, i started having serious pain in my GOOD foot, and had to realize the same thing. if it's meant to be....
hope you feel better.

p.s. i met your friend cathy partridge last week. she did a little work for me ;))))

cjonesrun said...

You have the right attitude...keep up your stamina training in whatever form you can do...then when your foot heals you can join us again and trek on to the CM. I would take it slower and easier when you get back on the pavement. BTW, this should make you feel good. Wayne (hubby) and I were talking about seeing you at the party on crutches and I mentioned you were 51 and he said, "are you sure? She sure doesn't look like she is 51." I asked him how old he thought you were and he said 'round 41 or 42! And that was in your most decrepit state...on crutches! You go girl!

AmyW said...

Such cruddy news, Jana. Queen called me this a.m. and told her her latest foot problem. We are just not 19 anymore, and I am stepping carefully on my 47 yr old feet these days, hoping they will last me through Chicago. Its the process, not the product, and us marathoners have to keep our mindset, of "I think I can, I think I can" no matter whether you are elliptical-ing, swimming, whatever.

Christa said...

This seems so unfair Jana. But you did it once and you can do it again. You came back just as strong as before from your last injury due to your dedication to continue the training through your recovery. You can and will do it again just in time for Chicago. Hang in there girl. You, more than anybody, are a marathoner!!!

queen said...

thanks for the sweet note. i hope you too, are feeling better soon. i do plan to try to do the blues marathon in january. i KNOW we can do the half!! i also plan to be at the gym a LOT, and strengthen the rest of my body during this off time.