Thursday, August 30, 2007

Exercise feels so good again!

I got on the elliptical this morning for 30 minutes! Yea, me! My foot is still somewhat sore but so much better. I am not going to push it by wogging too soon but will continue to XT on the elliptical and the bike for a couple more weeks.

Clark and I are leaving this afternoon for Kansas City, MO and then on to Seattle, WA. We will be back next Thurs. We are going to see our kids who have recently moved and make sure they are okay. We will miss you guys again Saturday.

MM has been a major "gettin out of my box" for me. The last few years I have done things I would never have done because they were too risky for me. I have always had a relatively "safe" life and have found out that I AM capable of doing things I never thought I could. It has been so cool for people to think of me in the context of "being a runner." At first I was embarassed about it because I have never even been an "exerciser." I thought people were looking at me and thinking "she sure doesn't look like any runner I know!" "I wonder if she knows she actually has to run!" It is amazing the respect you get from people you think have never given you a second thought! It has definitely been a conversation starter! People are definitely impressed!

I scrubbed in the operating room for about 10 hours yesterday. That was another major "box" I had to conquer. I have not worked in the OR since 1992 and never scrubbed by myself - always had someone else passing instruments. I only assisted or circulated so when my Doctor asked me to scrub with him I surprised myself when the word "yes" came out of my mouth! I thought, now what did I just say? Who was that person that answered? Anyway, it was very tiring esp. with my foot, etc. but SO MUCH fun! The time flew by and I actually enjoyed it! And......I actually did a pretty good job once I got the hang of it!

Take care you guys and have a great run Saturday!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are certainly going to miss both you and Clark. I am so glad that you are healing. It just hasn't been the same since you have been on the trail with us but I know that you will eventually be back out there again. You are the "Come Back Kid!" Thanks for the kind words about my dog Pongo. Suzanne

lisathehornplayingturtle said...

I'm glad things are looking up for you in the training dept. You're being smart by XT. You'll be surprised at how well you run later even though you haven't been pounding the pavement. Tell Robin I said hello. I hope things are going well for her and new husband.

catseye said...

My sister had some bad bone spurs and plantar faciatis (sp.). She is a runner but had to stop running for over two months and had to wear her running shoes (with inserts) ALL THE TIME. While she was healing she did the eliptical and bike and didn't miss a step (so to speak) getting back running when the Dr. said it was okay.
Keeping up the cardio will make gettng back into running so much easier.
I am very much in awe of you and your accomplishments -- everything from running to painting and now, it seems to scrubbing in. You rock!

LegalSec said...

Have a great trip! I really miss seeing you guys!
Sheila

The Miller's Blog said...

Great blog! It's amazing the things we feel like we can conquer just from training for a marathon!!!! Take it easy and be safe on your trip!!!!!

cjonesrun said...

So glad your foot is much better...one question, is your exercising still having the same effect you mentioned in your X-rated blog a while back? :>)

Cheryl

Debra said...

I've missed seeing you both. I won't be there this Saturday either. My son and I are going to nyc tomorrow for a short visit with my daughter and son-in-law. It's my Aaron's first trip to the big city so I'm going to just enjoy watching him!

See ya later.

Debra

Believe in Miracles ~ Lisa B Davis said...

I've missed seeing you! That is great about the OR.... Thanks for passing on the word about Linda.... Friendly faces always help.. BTW .... she is healing quite nicely...
Y'all be careful and comeback safely!

AmyW said...

You are a wonderful example of perseverence, Jana. As Suz says, The Comeback Kid!!

Lee Ann said...

Thanks for your support, I don't know that I could have quit without the support of MM folks and exchanging my old hapit for a new one. Thanks!!!

Christa said...

You are awesome Jana and I am so glad we have become friends. Keep up the great rebounding girl. You really are the Come Back Kid!!! Enjoy your trip. We miss you!!!!