Wednesday, April 11, 2007

10 weeks and counting.......................................

I walked yesterday and continue to have knee pain. A very knowledgeable friend poked around on my knees and told me I have patella tendonitis. His instructions were to hold ice directly on my patellas for at least 2 minutes (like a block of ice) and no longer than 3 minutes. He said the muscles around my knees are very weak and that I need to do leg raises and a lot of stretching. Weight training without impact and rest will help. So..........I will do all these things until Saturday and hopefully be able to interval train then. I believe and have been told by many people that knowing when to rest is just as important as anything else. I am trying to be good but I keep thinking about what Mark said. "It takes three months for your body to realize you are serious - that's when you start seeing change." (I hope I got that right). If I keep resting, how is my body going to take me seriously next week at the three month date? How will it know?

IT WILL KNOW BECAUSE I WILL KEEP TELLING IT 'I AM A MARATHONER' AND I AM GOING TO RUN, WALK OR CRAWL TO THE FINISH LINE IN OCTOBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have walked seven plus miles since Sunday (if I count Saturday, 11 miles). When have I ever in my whole life walked that much? I mean I gotta get real here! This is much, much more than a marathon. It is a LIFE CHANGE. From a couch potato to a person that exercises regularly and actually enjoys it!

5 comments:

Christa said...

YOU GO GIRL!!!!! Can't wait to see you Saturday!

Robin said...

You can do it! You can do it!

queen said...

you may not have the knees, but you definately have the attitude. wanna share???

maybe my knee problem is what mine is. my GP just told me it was probably a little arthritis, and to take advil and glucosamine, which i've done for more than a year. and mine STILL hurt.

bet i'm just as good at the resting that your are!!

Chuck Gautier said...

You are a machine. Keep up the great attitude and the ice packs. My GP told me I was having the same thing on my right knee, and that given time, and continued exercise and losing weight will help. My wife who is a really good runner would haul bags of frozen foon, e.g. peas or corn in a bag and hold those on them herself after long runs. Anyway thanks for sharing. You are obviously not the only one with this.

The Miller's Blog said...

I have decided, that I like walking better than running. Has a calming effect on me. So, even if I walk most of the marathon, I don't care, as long as I can complete the goal I set out to do. And that was to make a lifechange myself and get in shape and complete a marathon at least once in my life!!! We are all going to get through this toghether!!!!

Can't wait for the superfood margarita's tomorrow...... And can't wait to hangout with everyone.